Don’t worry – we’ve all been there. It’s your first time going to camp. We’ll give you all the tips and tricks to make sure you’re first camp experience is a great one.
Practice at home!
- Go on a backyard camping trip. Use your own or borrow a tent and sleep outside.
- Spend the night at the friend’s house. (Repeat as many times as you like! It’s fun.)
Get your gear together!
- Follow the guide in our confirmation packet and do a check to make sure you’re not forgetting anything. Ahem…did you forget your favorite stuffed narwhal Nellie?
- Make sure to add a family picture (don’t forget the pets) to your camping gear.
Talk about how everyone is feeling!
- Make a plan for what will happen when you’re at camp – who will feed the cat, etc.
- Talk about the “H” word – homesickness. Feeling homesick is totally, 100%, normal and it’s okay to feel that way. You don’t have to feel guilty for going away and nothing exciting is going to happen while you’re gone.
- Make sure you talk to your parents about how their feeling – I bet they are going to miss you too!
- Make a plan about what to do when you’re feeling a little blue. (Hint – Look at that picture and hug that narwhal during rest time and before bed. While you’re away your family can hug their favorite thing and look at a picture of you too!)